Archives & Library
The RLC Museum’s archive comprises of over 100,000 individually recorded items covering over 800m of shelving. This includes documents, letters, reports, photographs, books etc.
Before you contact the Museum with a research enquiry we recommend that you:
• Read our research guide to researching military family history.
• Search The RLC Online Archives which provides access to digitised Corps Journals, Royal Pioneer Corps war diaries, some enlistment books, photographs and vehicle records. Click here to access the site.
All research enquiries must begin with an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or written enquiry addressed to Archive Department, The RLC Museum, Worthy Down, Winchester, SO21 2RG.
Please note our small Archive team do not have the resources to take telephonic or walk-in enquiries.
Our Archive Department will then assess your enquiry and contact you with a number of options. These will be:
1. For the Research Enquiries Service an initial charge of £25 for the first hour of research followed by £10 for every subsequent hour (up to a maximum of 3 additional hours). This cost will be mutually agreed before research is begun and is non-refundable. Fees are paid after the completion of the research. Please note that this service can get very busy and it may be a number of months before we are able to provide information.
2. A Research visit to the accessible Library and Research Room. This provides a rare opportunity to study original material. Our Archive team will be on hand to advise you with your research. Bookings are available only on Wednesdays, 11:30 to 13:30.
Charges apply for using the facilities and bookings MUST be made in advance. If your enquiry is for commercial purposes (eg. a book you will publish or a film project) a consultancy fee may apply. Other charges may apply (reproduction, photocopying, etc). Please see charges below.
3. Further advice on alternative sources of information if we do not hold what you require.
Submitting a Research Enquiry:
When submitting an enquiry, please provide as much of the following information as possible:
• Your name and address, telephone number and email address.
• As much background information about your enquiry as possible. In particular, be sure to tell us what you already know. Try and be specific about company, squadron or regimental titles and numbers, the names of persons and places and dates.
• If you have a copy of service records or photographs, please include photocopies or soft copies.
• Please be explicit about the question(s) you wish to have answered.
The RLC Museum does not hold individual soldiers service records. The Archive team are therefore more likely to be able to report on a unit’s activity or history, rather than the story of an individual soldier.