Royal Army Ordnance Corps
In 1414 a Master of Ordnance was appointed to support the King’s overseas campaigns and to manage warlike stores held at the Tower of London.
As well as being the King’s military treasurer and paymaster, the Master of Ordnance was responsible for supplying war materials.
Motto: Sua tela tonanti
March: The Village Blacksmith
Colours: Blue and Red
The Board of Ordnance was established in 1683 as a civilian department of government; responsible for supplying and maintaining military equipment such as ammunition and weapons and also the building and maintenance of dockyards, depots, fortifications and map making.
Following a number of short-lived ordnance organisations, both the Army Ordnance Department and the Army Ordnance Corps were formed in 1896. In 1918, these two organisations were amalgamated and granted the ‘Royal’ prefix thus creating the Royal Army Ordnance Corps.
During the Second World War, the RAOC expanded rapidly from a few hundred officers and a few thousand men to 8,000 officers and 130,000 men in the space of four years.
In 1965, the RAOC incorporated the supply and staff clerk functions of the RASC. In 1993, it amalgamated with other corps to form The RLC.
The RAOC Association continues and has 22 thriving regional, sports or trade based branches which are all self-supporting; with their own chairman, treasurer and secretary. To join the RAOC Association members are required to join one of these branches.
- RD and MTI
- Staff Clerks
- Vehicle Specialists Fellowship
- RAOC Rugby Football
- RAOC Golfing Society
- RAOC Hockey
- Berks, Hants and Surrey
- Chilwell and East Midland
- Corsham and Bristol
- Didcot and Kineton
- East Anglia
- Greater Manchester
- Isle of Wight
RAOC Online Fellowship Branch
The RAOC Officers’ Club
Membership is open to all officers who were previously commissioned into the Royal Army Ordnance Corps (RAOC) and officers who were soldiers in the RAOC and later commissioned. The Club organises one dinner a year. Membership subscription is £5.00 per year.
An application form to join the Association can be downloaded below. Existing members should confirm and validate their contact details by downloading and returning the date update form below.
Further details can be obtained from the:
Controller/Secretary RAOC c/o RHQ The RLC
Building 204, Worthy Down Barracks, Winchester. SO21 2RG
Telephone: 01962 887765