Army Catering Corps
The idea of trained Army cooks emerged from committees studying the suggestions of Alexis Soyer, a French chef, who travelled as a volunteer with the British Army to the Crimea (1854-56).
Soyer developed stoves, basic boilers and simple recipes to help improve the diet and wellbeing of the British soldier.
Motto: ‘We Sustain’
March: Sugar and Spice
Colours: Grey and Yellow
In 1876, the British Army authorised the training of ‘Sergeant Cooks’ and the first Army School of Cookery was established in 1885. Prior to the First World War, regimental cooks were trained at command cookery schools run by the Army Service Corps but the standard of meals produced in the field varied enormously.
In the 1930s, the Government began to take a serious interest in improving the standard of living for the British soldier. The ‘Cook’ trade was placed under the control of the Army Catering Corps on its creation in March 1941. The ACC was initially formed as a subsidiary of the Supply Branch of the Royal Army Service Corps. On 29 May 1943, the Corps became an all tradesman Corps. In 1965, the Army Catering Corps was granted the status of an independent Corps and it remained so until its amalgamation into The Royal Logistic Corps in 1993.
Army Catering Corps Association
The ACC Association is a fraternal organisation with its primary aim of fostering comradeship between all past and present army chefs. It provides a framework for maintaining links with Army chefs, past and present, as well as a network of like-minded individuals. Whilst the Army Catering Corps merged into The Royal Logistic Corps in 1993, the ACC Association still has in excess of 3,000 members comprising both ACC and RLC chefs.
RHQ The RLC, Building 204, Worthy Down Barracks, Winchester. SO21 2RG
Telephone: 01962 887767