Welfare Support – Useful Contacts – In and Post Service

Benevolent Fund (ABF)

Mountbarrow House
6-20 Elizabeth Street
Tel: 0845 241 4820

The ABF is the Army’s leading charity and helps fund many other charities and organisations that operate either directly or indirectly in support of the family, children, the elderly, the disabled and those seeking employment. It works in partnership or close co-operation with Corps and Regimental associations and charities to whom it is normally best to direct enquires in the first instance. It has provided support to such organisations as the AFF, RELATE, SSAFA-FH and RFEA, and makes individual grants to both serving and ex-Service personnel.

Army Widows Association

c /o AIASC
Army Headquarters
DPS(A), IDL 428
Ramilies Building
Army Headquarters
Monxton Rd, Andover, Hants
SP11 8HJ
Tel: 01264 385457
Email: info@armywidows.org.uk

Formed in 2004 the Army Widows Association aims to offer comfort, support and friendship to the widows/widowers of Service personnel.

British Limbless Ex-Servicemen’s Association (BLESMA)

185-187 High Road,
Chadwell Heath,
Essex RM6 6NA
Tel: 0208 590 1124
Email: headquarters@blesma.org

BLESMA is a national charity, there to promote the welfare of all those who have lost a limb or limbs, or use of limbs, or one or both eyes as a result of service and to assist needy dependants of such service limbless and their widows. It will also help those ex-Service men and women who loose a leg after Service.

Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS)

Helpline: 0800 138 1111.
Website: www.cccs.co.uk

CCCS is a charity dedicated to providing confidential, free counselling and money management assistance to financially distressed families and individuals.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Citizens Advice
Myddelton House,
115-123 Pentonville Road, London, N1 9LZ
020 7833 2181 (admin only no advice available on this number)

There are CABs in most towns in the UK and are run mainly by volunteers but often with local authority support. The object of a CAB is to give free advice on all subjects and if necessary referral to a specialist agency. (CAB advisors undergo extended and detailed training). It is possible to make arrangements for a local CAB to set up an office in more remote stations.

Officers Association (OA)

1st Floor, Mountbarrow House
6-20 Elizabeth Street, London
Tel: 0845 873 7150

The OA has a wide welfare brief to help and represent those who have held a commission, but the activity for which it is best known is the resettlement and employment branch which operates as part of the Career Transition Partnership.

Regular Forces Employment Association (RFEA)

1st Floor, Mountbatten House
6-20 Elizabeth Street,
London SW1Y 9RB
Tel: 0121 236 0058

The RFEA assists men and women who have left the Services to resettle and find employment. Support is also extended to commissioned former warrant officers. The RFEA works in close co-operation with the Services Employment Network and is part of the Career Transition Partnership.

The Royal British Legion (TRBL)

199 Borough High Street,
Tel: 020 3207 2100

The Royal British Legion (TRBL) is the major ex-Servicemen/women’s organisation in the country with branches in all towns and many villages and in some stations overseas. It plays a major role in catering for the welfare of those who have served especially those with special needs or disabilities. It also helps with home or job finding and as a representative and lobbying body. Its clubs offer a social and comradely environment for ex-Service personnel.

National Gulf Veterans & Families Association (NGV&FA)

Building E
Office 8
Chamberlain Business Centre
Tel: 0845 257 4853 (O845 257 GULF)
Email: info@ngva.org.uk

NGV&FA provides support and financial assistance to Service men and women, either still serving or ex-Service, and their families, who have suffered as a result of their experiences in the Gulf War.

Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society (Combat Stress)

Head Office
Tyrwhitt House, Oaklawn Road
Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 0BX
Tel: 01372 587000
Email: contactus@combatstress.org.uk

Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society (Combat Stress) specialises in the welfare of ex-Servicemen and women who suffer from psychiatric disabilities arising from military service. It has 3 short stay treatment.

Service Personnel and Veterans Agency- Veterans Welfare Service

Thorton Clevelys Lancashire
Free Veterans Helpline 0800 169 2777
Email: veterans.help@spva.gsi.gov.uk

The main focus for providing support to ex-Service personnel on a wide range of issues related to veterans and pensions entitlements. They also work in partnership with other organisations to provide a helpline for veterans and a range of advice and information. The VWS are instrumental in the ‘Transition to civilian life’ process for the more seriously ill and those who are identified as being particularly vulnerable or Early Service Leavers. They work along side the AWS in the lead up to discharge and then take on responsibility for these personnel and provide support for up to 2 years beyond discharge and longer if deemed necessary.

The Sir Oswald Stoll Foundation

446 Fulham Road,
Tel: 020 7385 2110
Email: info@oswaldstoll.org.uk

The Sir Oswald Stoll Foundation is a charity and Registered Social Landlord which provides housing and enabling services to disabled and homeless ex-Service personnel and other people with disabilities. The Sir Oswald Stoll Foundation own and manage housing and provide the appropriate support to those they house to ensure that they can live independently in the community with a good quality of life.

SSAFA Forces Help (SSAFA-FH)

19 Queen Elizabeth Street
Tel: 0207 463 9287 or 0207 463 9217
Email: housing@ssafa.org.uk

SSAFA has a range of housing around England, including purpose-built bungalows for those with disabilities although you must still be capable of independent living. Most of the properties are situated in Blackpool, Barnsley, Wantage and Ryde (Isle of Wight) There is also a sheltered housing complex at Bamahague on the Isle of Man.

Union Jack Club (UJC)

Sandell Street Waterloo
Tel: 020 7902 6000
Email: admin@ujclub.co.uk

The Union Jack Club is situated near Waterloo Station in London and offers accommodation and facilities primarily for Service personnel below commissioned rank and their families. It may also be used by officers.